Use the Power of Your Will to do More

September 22, 2021 Tiverton, ON

HURON SHORES HOSPICE JOINS NATIONAL EFFORT TO URGE CANADIANS TO LEAVE A GIFT TO CHARITY IN THEIR WILLS WHILE STILL SUPPORTING LOVED ONES


Huron Shores Hospice has joined more than 500 charities, financial advisors and legal professionals from across Canada for the launch of Will Power™, a national public education effort designed to show Canadians the power they have to make a difference with their Wills. Campaign organizers anticipate that if enough Canadians join the effort and leave a charitable gift in their Will, as much as $40 billion dollars could be pledged in the next 10 years for important social causes like quality end-of-life care.


“We are very excited to partner with Will Power in this national campaign, said Lynne Willis,” lead for Legacy Giving at Huron Shores Hospice. “A charitable bequest will help sustain our hospice beds and help us plan for the future. A charitable gift will help make a difficult time easier for your neighbours, friends and family needing end-of-life support. The Ontario Government provides less than one-third of our annual budget. The remaining funds must come from our community. Legacy giving is a great way to help ensure our future.”


The national participation rate for charitable giving through Wills in Canada is currently 5 per cent. The goal of the Will Power™ campaign is to increase it to 8.5 per cent by 2030. There are more than 20 countries around the world with similar campaigns aimed at inspiring their public to leave gifts in Wills to charity.


Research conducted by the CAGP Foundation shows that 86% of Canadians are aware they can leave a charitable gift in a Will, but more than 60% choose not to because they believe it would take away from their loved ones. But it’s not an either/or proposition – everyone can leave a gift to charity while still taking care of those they love most.


It may come as a surprise that even 1% left to charity in a Will can make an enormous impact on a cause like Huron Shores Hospice, while still leaving 99% of a person’s estate for their family. Leaving a small portion of an estate to charity could result in a bigger contribution than most people would ever think possible, while still supporting those they love.

We encourage everyone to visit the Will Power™ website to learn about gifts in Wills and get tips on estate planning, calculate your potential gift, or contact a financial or legal advisor to take that next step. You can also visit our Will Power webpage at https://www.willpower.ca/charities/huron-shores-hospice/ to learn how your gift can create opportunities and inspire hope for a better tomorrow at Huron Shores Hospice.


-30-


About Huron Shores Hospice

Huron Shores Hospice provides quality end-of-life care, at no cost, to residents of Saugeen Shores, Kincardine, Huron-Kinloss and surrounding areas. Our vision is to create a world where end-of-life receives the same beauty, care and respect as the beginning, by creating moments that matter. In addition to end-of-life care, Huron Shores Hospice also provides free programs for Grief Recovery, End of Life Doula services, Death Cafes and End-of-Life Planning workshops. Huron Shores Hospice is a charitable not-for-profit, volunteer-led, community-funded organization, located within Tiverton Park Manor in Tiverton, Ontario.


About CAGP and the CAGP Foundation

Will Power™ is a campaign of the CAGP Foundation in partnership with the Canadian Association of Gift Planners (CAGP). The CAGP Foundation aims to financially support the development and promotion of excellence in charitable gift planning in Canada; CAGP is a national professional association that brings together charitable fundraisers and advisors advancing strategic charitable giving in their communities. Both organizations believe that we can build a better world by putting the power of philanthropy in the hands of many more Canadians, through gifts in wills and other types of strategic giving. Find out more at www.cagpfoundation.org / www.cagp-acpdp.org

Contact for more information:

Lynne Willis

Legacy Giving Lead

Huron Shores Hospice

lynne@huronshoreshospice.ca

519-389-7482




2 views0 comments